Monday, November 3, 2008

Polly Want a Cracker?

With the holiday season just around the corner I recently started thinking about Christmas Crackers. We’re all familiar with these fun paper-covered tubes which often make an appearance on the table at Christmas dinner… popping them open with a partner and checking out the goodies inside has become a long-standing tradition for many families. I’ve spent countless Christmas dinners eating pumpkin pie with one of those “charming” tissue paper crowns on my head, and have disposed of more cheap plastic toys than I care to remember – about ten years ago it inspired me to start making my own. Choosing to make your own Christmas Crackers instead of using store-bought gives meaning to the little gifts you find inside… they can be personal, specific to one intended recipient, or even home-made. One year I presented my young cousins tickets to Walt Disney World on Ice, all wrapped up in their personal Christmas Crackers, and I always make sure my diabetic relatives get sugar-free candy in theirs – the possibilities are endless (and the paper crowns are conspicuously absent!)

This year I invite you to join my Christmas Crackers class on Saturday December 13th from 11am to 1pm, where for $15.00 you can make a set of six of these lovely crackers to take home and share with family. Each cracker will be decorated with Designer Series paper and finished with coordinating ribbon, and I will provide treats and slips of paper with jokes or seasonal quotes to stuff in your cracker along with an idea sheet of small, inexpensive and charming gifts you can add if desired. Space in this class is limited as always, so please RSVP to reserve your space as soon as possible!

No comments: